Monday, July 6, 2015

GARDENING - Strawbale Improvements


Sorry I didn't have pics the last few weeks. I did not get as many blog posts scheduled before company arrived as I had hoped. Everyone is gone, my desk is in it's 'forever home' and I can get back to some semblance of a routine.. at least until Bob gets off the boat in two weeks.

For now I have pictures of the garden progress. These were taken about two weeks ago while my Mother -in- law  and her husband were here.  The potatoe plants are looking good. The red ones are even blooming. and you'll see in the bottom right that even the sweet potatoes have improved.


I took this picture of the cucumber plants after my MIL and I had tied them up. Wait til you see the pics next week! The taller plants are the pickling cukes, while the shorter ones are salad cukes. I have since picked enough picklers for several jars of Bread and Butter Pickles. I'll have those to show you next week.


First sign of banana peppers. Not seeing much activity on the bell peppers, though.


In this picture, the cherry tomatoes are looking a bit lean. And very few blossoms. I've never been one to feed my plants but I might have to. Strawbale gardening requires doing things a bit differently and I need to remember that.


I have peas! Okay.. not enough to count as a meal but they are there. I will be replanting these for a fall crop. They just prefer cooler weather.


Green Beans. yeah.. another replant in their future.



Tomatoes, both the Amish Paste and the Big Boys are doing okay. The Amish Paste (pic 1) seem to be producing where as I've not seen much from the Big Boys. Again, feeding might be an option.

I'll have updated pics next week as well as ones of the first batch of Bread and Butter Pickles.
Have a great week!







No comments:

Post a Comment