Friday, April 13, 2018

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS - Tornado Season Approaches!


I was planning to kick this feature back in this week. With the approach of severe weather for us tonight, I'm more inclined to ask everyone to pay attention. 

We have overcast skies, a decent but non-threatening wind and pleasant temperatures at the moment. Like most severe weather striking at in cloak of darkness, our storms are not to arrive until after 8 p.m. But there's no time to relax.

First, I'd like to remind you of THIS post I originally did on Emergency Preparedness Week. The BASICS supply list in preparing for inclement weather can be found there.

Being Prepared for a storm is important, but you also need to think about what you'll need after the air has cleared. When it comes to having supplies on hand for following a Disaster, read THIS POST


COMMUNICATION
To you have Weather Radio or a Weather Alert App on your cell?
You'll find a good selection on AMAZON  Consumer Reports recommends THESE

When it comes to Weather Alert Apps, often times your local News/ Weather channel will provide these. Nothing beats having local eyes on your location. For me, I use KY3 Weather. I love their app. Not only can I tell the weather here but where my girls live out west or my in-laws in south Texas. Whichever location I choose as 'HOME' will give me the weather alerts for that area... making it the perfect weather option for where ever I am. 

I've listed some FREE apps below with good ratings. Most offer an in-app purchase. My KY3 app does not.

NOAA Weather
     Note: NOAA does have a Weather Alerts app for $1.99
Weather Bug 
AccuWeather
WeatherBundle - Forecasts, Alerts

IMPORTANT!
If you are depending on your phone REMEMBER to charge BEFORE BEDTIME. You don't want your battery today at a crucial time. Know where your charger for both your home and your car are located. Consider purchasing a separate charger for your Emergency surplus bag. Also consider a back-up charger such as THIS one, allowing you to recharge your phone even when the power is down. Make sure you have this device charged as well. I know these seem like simple points, but often the easiest things are left undone. 

Do you have Preparedness Tips to share? Please do so in the comments.
Please no long list of post links. My blog is to share and be informative but this is NOT instagram. Thank you for understanding.

Be safe!


1 comment: