Monday, May 6, 2019

WEEKEND TRAVEL - Back to Van Buren

Note: I inadvertently posted this to an alternate blog last week.

Before I get into today's post I wanted to give you an update on Zoey.


She and Honey got along until Zoey and her long legs would overpower HB and pin him. He would growl, then she'd growl and the fight would begin. We found a shelter group that deals in Weimer's (which we are pretty sure she is).  I've never missed a temporary dog as much as I miss that girl.  But HB had to come first. 

Okay, on to today's post!

Good morning, everyone. Cool, damp start to our week. I will admit that while Bob and I did travel this past weekend, we just went into the city for some thrifting and time together before he heads back to work sometime this week. We are back on the day-to-day, waiting for the call routine.

A couple of weeks ago I drove to Van Buren to check out the Saturday Flea Market that Hannah, from Springhouse Cafe told me about. I decided to start my day with breakfast at the Springhouse:


The food was good, for the most part. Everything cooked to perfection. This is probably the only place I've eaten where they actually know how to cook an over-easy egg... the whites cooked and ALL of the yolk runny and delicious. The hash browns were perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside and that slice of ham fed me that morning plus an addition to breakfast for Bob and I later in the week.  The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the biscuits and gravy. I knew ahead of time it was not 'sausage' gravy, but white pepper. The biscuits were tough on the bottom. I ordered them mainly to see how they were so I could tell Bob ahead of time. He does not like pepper, period so pepper gravy is definitely not an option for him.


Overall, we both have really liked the place. They're never overly busy, the waitresses are right on top of things and friendly.  Their food has always been good, making it hard to pick a favorite whenever we go back. We do like their 'handmade' burgers. Bob also liked their hand-pounded, hand-breaded pork tenderloin. There's usually at least one decadent dessert on the menu but I've avoided due to the sugar content, but their triple chocolate cake is drool-worth at $3 - $3.50 a slice, leaving me only to add that the prices are very reasonable. - Update (May 30, 2019) Bob and I caved and tried the Triple Chocolate Cake. Super Rich - Delicious - Decadent for sure! I suggest an glass of milk with this one!


To find The Springhouse Cafe, traveling West on Hwy 60 from Poplar Bluff (or St. Louis), turn right just as you come past the 55 mph sign (road just before McDonalds) You'll go about 1 to 1-1/2 miles and you'll see the place on your left.



Please tell them you heard about it on An Ozarks Journal blog. Doesn't get me anything, but I do like to let business owners know that the few minutes they took to chat with me was worth their time. Thanks to Nick Dorris for the friendly update. 

Where will you travel to this week.  Where ever you go, be safe and Enjoy the Adventure!

I have a big announcement coming tomorrow. Please stop by. 
Safe Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment