Wednesday, October 2, 2019

BARTLETT - A Ghost of a Community



While my address says Birch Tree, MO I am 1/4 mile shy of the Birch Tree/ Winona line. My mail comes from Birch Tree but when we had a land line, we had a Winona extension. You have to wonder who does the platting. LOL

According to Wikipedia, Bartlett is an 'unincorporated' community in Shannon County. A post office was established in 1888 and operated until 1941. 

Information from The State of Missouri Historical Society website tells us Bartlett was a railroad flag station named after W. R. Bartlett, a stock holder/ promoter for the Frisco Railroad



If you click on the link above, you can enlarge the map to show where the line begins in Birch Tree but not in Bartlett. Bartlett does not even appear so I'm not sure of the age of the map.  I do know the railroad no longer runs in this area at all.

I live south of 'Old 60'. My county road shows places where there was once concrete  as opposed to the dirt/rock logging road most people think I live on.

I'll be doing more research to find out what I can about Bartlett. Why did the post office shut down in 1941? Did the closing have something to do with the newer Hwy 60? Hopefully, I can do some digging soon.

In the mean time, do you have an 'unincorporated' community where you live? Do you know it's history?  Please share.

~Country Blessings from the Ozarks

No comments:

Post a Comment