Tuesday, September 24, 2019

TOMATOES EVERYWHERE!


This was the first meager picking of Early Girl tomatoes around the first of August. You can see a few cherry tomatoes in the bottom of the basket.

I've since put two 2-gallon bags of tomatoes in the freezer for turning into sauce this winter. I probably have about that many more out there.

In June when the girls first got here, I planted all the volunteer tomatoes Adrian and I could find while she planted the 24 Early Girl tomatoes. She really got her hands dirty!


She had never planted anything on her own before. I helped her place the plants along the bales, showed her how to do the first one then turned her loose. She was one tired girl when she was done. I was so proud of her!

Here's what her handiwork looked like about the second week in August... after she'd gone back home.


Now about those volunteers I planted... over 30 plants. And they all turned out to be cherry tomatoes. I can only eat so many and they hadn't started producing before the girls left (we hope to fix that next summer)


One of my projects before they are all gone is to put up a few jars of green tomato pickles. My stepmom canned some one year and I remember them being quite tasty.

Tomorrow, I have a mystery plant for you. Well, it was a mystery to me :-D
Happy Gardening!



No comments:

Post a Comment