Friday, August 13, 2021

PREPPER FRIDAY RETURNS! Making A Plan

 Good morning!

I dropped the ball on this last fall. For some reason, the fall season just ceased to exist for me. I couldn't seem to get footing. I just wanted to sit and veg.

Not so this year. 

As I approach 60 and Bob's retirement only a couple of years away, I've decided I need a two-year plan to lay in as much supply of non-perishables and paper products as possible. I'm also gradually adding home-canned/ preserved/ dehydrated to the pantry.



With parts of I-70 still under clean-up as well as other natural disasters and a shortage of quality drivers, there is still the issue of getting product. I don't think this is something that is going to resolve any time soon. I don't like to be a fear-monger, but this has to make us think about supply and demand down the line. They are still touting variant strains of the virus as well as the potential for non-vaccinated people allowed in some public places. Seriously? This has to stop somewhere.

In the mean time, we have to take control of our own well-being.  That means taking stock of three areas:

1 - What we use on a regular basis
2 - How much of those items we have on hand
3 - How to break our purchases down into financially manageable chunks.

Take a note pad and pen and go through each room in your home. For me, that would be:

Bathroom
Kitchen
Laundry room
Living room
Dining room
Bedroom
Office
Basemement

I recommend at least one sheet per room.

List what you have on hand that you USE
Pitch everything that is out-dated or that you no longer use

Next, go back through your USE list and determine how many you have on hand AND how many you need to sustain you for 1 year. For now, I'm talking dry goods/ non-perishables. We'll get to the actual FOOD items in a future post. 

I'm working on a PDF that I can offer as a Beta test for a book. You're input would be invaluable.

For now, get reacquainted with your home and as always...

Enjoy the Journey!
~Kelly 




No comments:

Post a Comment